Wednesday, August 24, 2011

eureka! is that a covered shoulder?

Change is good, right? I think so. It's not always easy, but in the world of wedding gown fashion I think it is finally time to see some options beyond the strapless neckline. FINALLY! thanks to the beautiful Princess Kate and some other very, chic ladies around the world whom designers clamor to style the runways will produce a plethora of neckline options for boutiques to purchase and offer to brides. The neckline above is one of my favorites I doubt will be repeated again. In the 60s and 70s this collar neckline was very popular and quite demure. Today the sophisticated, modern bride doesn't want to be covered to the neck and confined. (with the exception of those fanatical vintage slaves like me who would wear that neckline in a heartbeat!)

Even Princess Kate, though her gown was classic Grace inspired, had movement in her illusion lace bodice. Her collar bone was not hidden! This look already has flooded the bridal market and will be in a store near you soon! Yes, long/ three quarter sleeves are BACK!

Another neckline that will make its way to your boutique is the classic boat neck! I haven't seen this neckline in several seasons and yet here it is by Armani looking incredible on Princess Charlene of Monaco.
Let it be known I have absolutely nothing against the strapless gown. It is a wonderful, option for most brides with its clean neckline (zero confinement) that can be styled with a fabulous statement necklace or not. You also don't have to be royalty to set a trend with your wedding gown. Just enjoy wearing it, feel beautiful and be thankful you are a 21st century bride that has many necklines (again!) to choose from!


1 comment:

  1. Yes, although I got caught up in the 'strapless' phenomenon, I do appreciate these other gorgeous necklines. It's nice to have choices. I thought of you when I read a recent Wall Street Journal article about a new book coming out: 'The Wedding Dress' (V&A Publishing). It covers 300 years of bridal fashion. A must-read book for you my dear!!
    xo, Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love reading them!