Wednesday, August 17, 2011

boutiques--a dying breed

I was in a large city this weekend (don't want to disclose only to possibly affect the industry more) and marveled at a quaint avenue once charmed with unique, independently owned, hole in the wall boutiques now replaced with "chain" retailers. I certainly don't have anything against those big, box retailers I myself shop in, but slowly but surely they will be our only option for clothing, accessories and yes, bridal gowns if we don't encourage those few surviving boutiques with our patronage.
This possession of the bridal boutique soul is also happening all over our country. What concerns me more than these shoppes exiting our style cravings, is more and more young women like those I see in the bridal boutique every day will not know what quality, couture and originality means. They will only know copies, synthetics and crooked seams. It's almost like our grandmothers dying before they pass on the family recipe and those wonderful homemade delights never to be enjoyed again.
Many brides would argue the boutiques are just too expensive and the larger retailers have what they like for less. That is a valid argument and I respect it.  However, I suggest you visit at least one boutique in your search for your once in a lifetime garment. You should find those prices translate to two things service and quality. The boutique will probably offer a range of price points that will meet most budgets.  Many brides make assumptions boutiques are snobby and unwelcoming. In fact, it's just the opposite. A small, boutique dotes on their client and even in some cases remain friends with brides long after they walk down the aisle.
Give them a try and I suspect you'll have the time of your life and purchase the gown of your dreams all under one roof!
The bridal industry needs boutiques more than ever today. Those intimate, girly places were and are those special stores you peak in the window as a little, girl hoping some day to walk inside. Keep them alive and well so our daughters and theirs get to be brides who know the gown they choose for their special day is a fine, garment they will proudly wear and remember for a lifetime.


1 comment:

  1. Well said! I often think that way about many unique small stores, in any industry, where quality and service are unmatched. You lose out when you purchase mainstream, hurriedly produced goods. Show me a good handmade piece any day and I'll swoon.
    Did you see there's an article in Sep/Oct Victoria magazine about the recent royal gown and the exquisite, detailed way it was made? Very inspirational, and I do hope brides take good note of how much quality should truly count in their dream gown. :)
    (Oh, and I love your new header pics!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love reading them!