Friday, September 16, 2011

a WINDOW to the soul

It was love at first sight. I was 8 when I saw it--THE WINDOW! Little did I know that glimpse, that awestruck feeling that stirred was the beginning of my future career. That day in tow with my mom at "the mall" was the day I saw my first bridal shoppe window. It happened to be Priscilla of Boston, which at the time (without dating myself too much) was actually one of their satellite boutiques strangely located in a mall! With the news Priscilla of Boston in all its grandeur sadly ending its gift to our bridal world, I couldn't help but get nostalgic and reminisce about the moment I fell hard for wedding gowns.

Boutique windows of any kind always fascinate me to this day. I love how artistic, dynamic and simply quaint they always are. They give a sense of comfort and character to any street they grace. Boutique owners large or small take great pride in window design. In fact, it's an art and a skill many get degrees in. The windows in NYC have been famous inspirations for many films over the years.

Of course, the window of a bridal boutique is my creme de le creme. It allows the bride to get a her first, glimpse and perhaps inspiration for her gown. Something about a whimsical, elegant gown on a mannequin under soft lighting makes brides excited to find their special one and future brides (ages 8 to 80) wonder with delight about what they might find someday. It's a momentary, magical escape.

Before you step inside your boutique, take a minute or two to adore the window. Whether you did as a little girl  for years and now can enter those doors with a sparkling ring on your finger or you just happened to notice yesterday while on your way to a meeting. I just implore you to look, admire and escape for a few moments.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what a great post Maria! I can picture you as a girl standing awestruck in front of a Priscilla's window. Of course you were destined to work there, my friend.
    Miss you,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and thank you so much for your sweet comment on my anniversary post! I will be posting about you soon, as well as opening an Etsy store. Lots to post about, but no time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love reading them!