Friday, November 13, 2015

Modest Mindfulness

My heart still skips a beat when I'm in the presence of a wedding gown. A garment intrinsically connected to the raw beauty of marriage. Besides being so appealing to the eye, wedding gowns elevate their owner's being and those around them. Symbolic, traditional, feminine, stylish, sacred wedding dresses have it all.

Vera Wang Fall 2016
I'm compelled to question some designers when I saw the latest trend shown at the October Bridal Fashion Week.  A bridal gown with an illusion aesthetic is breathtaking. The liner removed from the lace or "anti-illusion" just doesn't seem justified. There is no illusion, but parts of the body most women choose not to reveal at their wedding ceremony.                                                                                                   I've talked about trends in other posts which I usually applaud. Some of course fade quickly, while others stay, repeat and evolve. That's the joy and vitality of fashion! Couturiers are dynamic souls always surprising us with their art. I would hope that amidst that explosion of creative interpretation, they consider what and whom they are designing for when it comes to wedding garments.

I'm aware my overzealous enthusiasm for wedding gowns might cause me to be a bit over protective and defensive. They are, as I've also posted, a deep rooted passion since childhood. The gown below makes me swoon and dreamy.
Monique Lhuillier Fall 2016

The illusion detail, the color, the linear beading take me on a romantic journey. These dresses are made for one day in a woman's life. They are cherished on that day and years to come as heirlooms. They conjure a day of pure joy and a sacred, union. Wearable art I humbly respect, a liner shouldn't affect design integrity that much. It would only be a modest change for the designer, but for the bride and her admirers a decent, garment worthy to be called a wedding gown.





                                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I love reading them!