Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Relevance

One of the common remarks I hear in the dressing room is "Will I still like this dress in 20 years?" Or another is "Will I ask years from now what was I thinking?" Those questions are understandable and not uncommon. Unfortunately I don't answer my client in a way she wants, because when it comes to fashion that question shouldn't be asked. Fashion is a volatile, dynamic cyclical art. What is offered today in gown choices will not be offered to a bride 20 years from now.  Trends do repeat, but in more a recycled, redefined manner. As much as I would like to answer any question a bride has when she is choosing her gown, I can only reassure her that her wedding gown is relevant to our time now and hopefully that is enough to satiate her doubt.

Celine Dion 1994
Besides it's actually kind of fun to look back at another decade and critique the fabulous and not so great trends in wedding fashion. A quick trip to the 1990s gives us the beautiful almost regal styles. The over the top 80s gave the decade following its blessing with the continued high shoulders and opulent head pieces and veils.
Archduchess Sophie of Austria 1990 Valentino
From Four Weddings and a Funeral
Oh the sleeves, portrait collars, detachable trains and yikes the dreadful basque waist! Though the basque waist was slenderizing and quite popular for that reason, I'm glad I haven't seen it back since.
1993 Dior Gown with a basque waist- Spectacular though!







I know that decade well, because it was 20 years ago this month I was a bride. The "Modern Bride" cover photo above is from a 1993 edition I had in my extensive wedding magazine collection I started 21 years ago! The two photos above are from that magazine edition. 
These are wonderful, memories I will always hold dear. August 1994 was a different world, but it was  my time to be a bride and the styles reflected fashion trends of that time. I can giggle now at the basque waist. I'm not asking myself what I was thinking (yes, I had one!) It was relevant back then and it actually was quite flattering! Reveling the present and enjoying your time as a bride is most important. There will be time you'll look back at photos decades after your wedding day like I have, but I can assure you it will be with a smile!
Me as a bride in August 1994






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! I love reading them!