Monday, June 30, 2014

The Dynamic Canvas

I must confess when it was my time to choose a wedding dress it didn't go well.  I won't deceive you, nothing tragic occurred. I was a bride years before I joined the wedding industry so my knowledge was nil. As we all learn from our mistakes and yes after my 3rd gown purchase (two were from a certain "basement" sale that no longer exists) I realized I wanted all my ideas in one dress. That was unrealistic and lead to frustration and disappointment. I found a beautiful dress I still love to this day almost 20 years later, but I had to bend and accept my dream dress wouldn't have all the elements I desired.  

Fast forward to 2014 as I stylist I never use the words compromise and bend. Today's bride doesn't need to do either. The wedding industry has exploded with designers who offer a massive, price point spectrum and clamor for your business. The internet and sites such as Etsy,  Pinterest, The Knot, Pink French Bride to name a few have augmented the planning process for a bride in ways I would never have imagined 20 years ago. Not only do brides have choice, but the sharing of ideas and inspiration is enormous via social media. The 21st century bride has everything at her fingertips literally, which is amazing and perhaps some what daunting.  One suggestion I always make is let the wedding be as unique as you are as a bride and and as a couple. Things will fall into place accordingly, because it will be a personal, reflection of you. Your dress is the canvas. What will you paint for your groom and your guests? How will you express yourself as a bride?

Some of my favorite ways to project your unique style are changing your look either boldly or ever so subtly throughout your wedding day. You might choose to cocoon yourself in veiling to add tradition to your ceremony and then reappear to your guests donning a fabulous headpiece or a heirloom colored, jewel in your hair. You could add an ornate belt around the waist of your simple, gown. 
Headpiece found on Etsy




I have a huge crush on caplets and shrugs. Maybe walk down the aisle with one draped over your shoulders and then remove it later for the party. Or slip on a shrug later in the evening when the temperature drops at your chilly,  fall or winter venue.

BHLDN


If you're going for the comfort of all out party wear and an entire second look, I cannot say enough about the haute piece by Pronovias (right). A chic, encore that will dazzle your guests as you and your groom dance the night away. The Hailey Paige option (left) is incredible as well as the skirt is removed to reveal a great, cocktail length little, white dress.

The twists and turns of your canvas are endless! There are so many options that you can personalize. I revel the opportunity to assist a bride with her ideas to express herself fully. Your wedding day is truly your day to allow a glimpse into your soul and paint a masterpiece as unique as you are.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I remember those Filene's basement finds, my friend! Didn't they end up at the Jureks house? How funny to recall. You make a great point - there are endless resources for brides these days, so much more than 20 years ago when we watched you plan your beautiful wedding. I can't believe it will be 20 years next month my friend! I just love your photos here and your advice that's right on the mark. Weddings should always be personal and a beautiful expression of the love the bride & groom shares. Best of luck with your new vintage accessories launch!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting! I love reading them!